Tabs

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bliss

Today was awesome. It was one of those days I thought being a mum was all about when I was a kid.

I have been sewing a fair bit lately, ticking things off my to do before baby list, but usually I have fit it around when the kids are in bed and weekends. Today was not one of those days. Today I have been able to sit and sew while the kids have happily sat and played on the lounge floor. Totally content! I was my version of Bliss!

Chaos and Fun!

My weekend project - These were just sooo easy to make and Monkey has already asked for another pair!
Spurred on by my successful weekend of sewing, todays sewing effort was something special for Monkey. As we have bub 3 arriving soon the lovely hood in the corner towels that my Granny and Mum made for him, need to passed on (he is really growing out of them too). I was inspired by Sew like my Mom who is in a similar situation and came up with a great towel option for big kids using a towel, a hand towel and a facecloth.

I had planned to only put his Initial on the back but fate stepped in and plans changed.

I had forgotten when I came downstairs this morning (my only trip down each day) to get the fabric choices out for Monkey, so had to send him up on his own to look through the boxes of fabric I have. I tried to give clear instruction about what to choose but fabric types are  a little hard for a 4 year old, I had envisioned using my patchwork fabric. He first found some lovely stripy left over winter PJ (brushed cotton) fabric which I thought for a second and decided maybe it would be nice to have soft cuddly binding, but as there wasn't enough for 2 towels I sent him back for more. At which point he came back with the Dinosaur fabric we used to make a buggy liner for him when he was a baby. It is a much heavier fabric than I would ever have chosen and I did try to get him to change his mind... Not happening. I even pointed out that the dinosaurs wouldn't even show up properly for just his inicial.


This was when I made error number one. I suggested that we might be able to cut some of the dinosaurs out and sew them on especially. The towel designs were sold no going back now.


While Miss Boo slept Money excitedly helped me print out his initial and trace it and choose the dinosaurs I was to cut out. Error number 2 instead of cutting a general shape around the dinosaur and sewing that on I decided to cut very precisely around each of them spikes and all. Probably doubled or even tripled the time it took me to sew. They did turn out pretty fantastic though.

Water play - cleaning the foam for our project later in the week.



Just out of the oven...Learnt that one packet of gluten free cupcake mix makes 51 mini cupcakes. Plenty to freeze, if I don't eat them all!!!
For the rest of the day I chatted to the kids while I sewed. Each of us content just be hanging out. We baked and even played outside when a break was needed. And at the end of the day (in time for his bath) Monkey has two IMHO awesome bath towels. Now he just has to choose which one to use first!



1 comment:

  1. Great towels and the dinosaur cut-outs are gorgeous. I bet if you'd just done a circle around them you'd look at them and wish you done the proper cut out. Monkey is so lucky to have such a talented Mum!

    ReplyDelete